What better way to spend Valentine’s Day than with a dog to love?
Here are the top ten reasons why a dog makes a better date this Valentine’s Day, compliments of our friends at Petfinder.com:
1. Dogs don’t talk. I could elaborate, but I think we can all agree this is a good thing.
2. If you worry your dog will destroy your lovely home four seconds after you step out the door, you can put him in a crate. The authorities frown upon this when it comes to dates.
3. Dog slobber is cute. Date slobber is very not cute. Ever.
4. You don’t have to share your dessert with a dog (and probably shouldn’t). This is great because dessert is the best part about Valentine’s Day and all that stuff conveniently makes dogs sick. So you get your tempting torte all to yourself. Perfect!
5. For the not-so-romantic folks out there, a dog won’t look hopefully, then desperately, and finally disdainfully into your eyes when the evening doesn’t end in a helicopter ride to Paris and a romantic marriage proposal. Won’t happen. Prolonged eye contact totally freaks dogs out.
6. When a dog follows you around it’s cute. Am I right? Pretty much nothing is better than being adored by a dog. If a date follows you around … we call that little phenomenon stalking.
7. Dogs don’t care if you are “presentable” or not. You don’t have to buy expensive shoes to hang out with your dog. You don’t even have to shower. Just head out on a couple of hikes, toss a ball around, dole out a healthy belly rub and you’re golden! No makeup, no ironing, no Spanx required. Amen.
8. You will never have to dream up a way to gently/firmly/sneakily “get rid” of a dog. Because you’d never want to get rid of a dog! Dogs are fun, and funny, and goofy, and handily clean food right off the kitchen floor for you when you drop it. Dates seem to think that kind of thing is below them. Lame.
9. Pup snuggles are the best. Okay, snuggles from a human can be pretty darn good too, but when Fido nuzzles into the nape of your neck and huffs a grumbly sigh, you’ll stay in that exact same position for ages so you don’t disrupt the little mutt’s comfort.
10. Did I mention dogs don’t talk?
So if you’re ready to feel that kind of love, take a look at who’s looking for you: Adoptable Dogs